- User Fees
- Academic users in the United States, who use the BioPACIFIC MIP facilities based on successful competitive user proposals, will not charged for reasonable time with experts, technicians, or use of BioPACIFIC MIP materials and equipment.
- Organizations or individuals performing proprietary research at BioPACIFIC MIP will be charged user fees
- Initial feasibility studies conducted outside of the proposal process will be charged user fees
- Users accessing equipment that has become available due to extra capacity (e.g. due to a last-minute cancellation) will be charged user fees
- Intellectual Property
For Research or Services conducted at the BioPACIFIC MIP:
- Any intellectual property developed in the performance of a research project that is performed by non-UC researchers on behalf of a non-UC entity and that is independent from any UC research activities will not be owned by UC.
- With respect to any intellectual property developed in the performance of a research project that is performed jointly by UC researchers and non-UC researchers, ownership shall be determined in accordance with applicable United States intellectual property laws and applicable University policies. In the event that a separate research agreement exists between the parties for the contemplated research project, the terms of that research agreement will govern.
- Any intellectual property developed in the performance of a research project conducted solely by UC researchers will be owned by the UC Regents, except in the case of Services.
- With respect to services conducted by BioPACIFIC MIP staff under the BioPACIFIC MIP’s no-charge recharge agreement (“Services”) with a non-UC entity, any intellectual property developed in the performance of that project will not be owned by The Regents but only to the extent that there is no UC employee who is a co-inventor of such intellectual property as determined under U.S. patent law.
- The data generated during proprietary research conducted by non-UC researchers on behalf of a non-UC entity can be kept confidential by paying the full recovery costs, following the NSF MIP guidelines expressed in the 2019 FAQ.
- Organizations or individuals performing proprietary research at BioPACIFIC MIP will be charged user fees.
- BioPACIFIC MIP will not sign Non-Disclosure Agreements.
- BioPACIFIC MIP is not responsible for maintaining the security or confidentiality of proprietary research.
- Data and Material Retention
- Samples sent to and from the BioPACIFIC MIP for aid in research, characterization, or materials development will be managed by UCSB and UCLA’s standard Materials Transfer Agreements (MTA).
- Users agree to submit pathway data and/or a small volume of materials developed as part of their BioPACIFIC MIP research to the BioPACIFIC MIP libraries.
- Submission of data and/or materials may be made after publication or filing of IP through the appropriate channels, but within one year of the project’s end date.
- The materials and data in the BioPACIFIC MIP libraries will be used only for non-commercial research and educational purposes.
- Acknowledging Support
- Both the BioPACIFIC MIP award number (DMR-1933487) and the BioPACIFIC MIP name must be acknowledged in all publications that are generated or resulting from BioPACIFIC MIP in-house research and BioPACIFIC user projects.
- The BioPACIFIC MIP award number (DMR-1933487) must be acknowledged in all publications that are generated or resulting from BioPACIFIC MIP support under the Materials Innovation Platforms solicitation (NSF 19-526), including use of the BioPACIFIC MIP funded tools, materials, or data in person or virtually.
- The BioPACIFIC MIP award number (DMR-1933487) and/or BioPACIFIC MIP name must be acknowledged in all presentations, websites, press releases, etc. that are generated or resulting from BioPACIFIC MIP support under the Materials Innovation Platforms solicitation (NSF 19-526).
- Acknowledgement text: "This work was supported by the BioPACIFIC Materials Innovation Platform of the National Science Foundation under Award No. DMR-1933487."
Email us with specific inquiries regarding the policies or forms.
See Accordion for more details